Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm Back!!

and I'm armed with some facts & figures

It's been a long, long time since I've blogged anything. I don't know any single reason for my absence, except to say that I've thought a lot about writing some entries, but then I go and talk over my ideas with friends and family instead of write about them. The act of talking seems to satiate my need to express myself, so I never get around to coming back and laying it all out in a blog post for others to read.

Well, now the time is upon me. I will be leaving Colorado in just 15 days. This has made me realize that I need to start updating this blog more regularly. I want this to be a mechanism to stay in touch with everyone back home and around the country... and maybe grow into a screenplay someday. (Just kidding!) Though I'd love to, I can't have regular conversations with everyone. This is my attempt to give everyone a peek into my life in Memphis.

To start, let's go over the basics:

Some demographic and economic facts about Memphis (2006)

30.5% white (compared to 73.9% nationwide)

63.5% black (compared to 12.4% nationwide)

very small Hispanic/Latino presence (only about 4.7%, as compared to 14.8%

nationwide)

18.8% of families are below the poverty level (compared to 9.8% nationwide)

23.5% of individuals are below the poverty level (compared to 13.3% nationwide)

median family income is $37,676 (compared to $58,526 nationwide)

median value of an owner-occupied home is $90,900 (compared to $185,200 nationwide)

As you might imagine, this is quite a stark contrast to the environment I have lived in for the past four years, in Boulder, Colorado. In Boulder, the median family income is $89,184. The median value of a home is $455,900. Whites make up 85.5% of Boulder’s population; blacks only 1.0%...

(taken from factfinder.census.gov)

The numbers above will soon be replaced by stories of my real, flesh-and-blood students, their families, their neighborhoods, their struggles, and their triumphs.

Visit often! (If I know people are reading, that will keep me writing!)

No comments: